Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Richie Havens "The Great Blind Degree" 1971



To me it's still a mystery why "The Great Blind Degree" from 1971 never has been reissued on CD. The only song from the LP that's been on a compact disc is "What About Me" (sure it's the most catchy one from the album) on Rhinos "The Best Of" from 1993. Personally I love almost everything this dude recorded in the sixties and seventies, but I think this album it's the smoothest one from him, and it's so groovy and gentle. I hope his spirit feelin' fine wherever he are.


9 comments:

  1. I have to confess I've always passed this one by. But no more. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snakeboy - I'm glad you discovered this:-)

      Delete
  2. Jag hade tänkt skriva att jag inte ens visste att den här LP:n kommit ut. Men så kollade jag listan över mina LP-skivor och tydligen har jag den i källaren...

    Thanks for posting this. I don't really remember this album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leif - Kul att jag fick dig att återupptäcka skivan:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of Richie Havens, but I'm not sure if I have this one. But now I do for sure -
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gyro1966 - You can't have too many Richie Havens;-) Strange that this one never seen the light on CD, his only record actually that missed the digital age?

      Delete
  5. One spring day in 1968 I happened to be in Sausalito, California just across the Golden Gate Bridge. There was a guy sitting in a park on the grass with his guitar and 10 or 15 people around him. The guy was Ritchie Havens and he was just spending an afternoon as the rest of us were. A more groovy guy you would never meet.
    Thank you for this album, one that I am unfamiliar with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ideal LP for a transfer to cd

    ReplyDelete
  7. An absolute gem of a record , his sympathetic interpretation of other artists songs often enhance the original without trying to copy its style or presentation, It beggars belief a cd transfer has yet to materialise 46 years after its creation, a loving JAP mini LP retrospective including this is long overdue !

    ReplyDelete