Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tala André Marie "Black Woman" 1976


Well, sometimes you just fell instantly in love - that's what I did with this LP from 1976. Tala Andre Marie was born in Bandjoun, West Cameroon 1950. When he was four years old he lost his mother, at fifteen he went blind, at sixteen he's father died and his grandmother took care of him. He almost immediatly turned into one passion - music. He started some local bands and went discovered by Manu Dibango round 1971 and he made a handful of french produced albums in the seventies. The music on Black Woman is sometimes very groovy, but it also includes some delicate pop with a strong melancholy feel, and it's hard not to get affected while listening. This is definitely one of my desert island discs.


9 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a groovy choice. Thank you Aaron. But I had to adjust the volume down, it was twice as loud as other downloads. But without you I never would have heard this. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the LP - sorry bout the volume, it's fixed now!

      Delete
  2. Not to spam -- thank you for all the latest posts, Aaron! This one's a killer, and the disco comps are fantastic -- haven't heard Telex or Sheila for years:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't spam at all! I'm really grateful you enjoyed the posts (and let me know it) - that Sheila track is one of the best Nile Rodgers productions ever:-)

      Delete
    2. Gee, I never even knew that was Nile! Always thought she worked with some French guys, plenty of them were in the disco business at the time.

      Delete
    3. I thought¨the whole france were in the disco business back in the seventies;-) It actually appears on this groovy box https://www.discogs.com/Nile-Rodgers-Presents-Chic-Organization-The-Box-Set-Vol-1-Savoir-Faire/release/2501209

      Delete
  3. Beautiful one, more pop tracks remind me in some way Arthur's Lee LOVE, one of my favorite groups from the60's

    More african records ! ;-)

    Great blog, long life!

    Good luck and Love from Italy

    ReplyDelete