Thursday, July 14, 2016

Carl Oglesby "Same" 1969



This LP is a masterpice - no doubt. Carl Oglesby was an american writer and politival activist, and he also made two albums for Vanguard and this is the first from 1969. His voice is very dark and reminds a lot of Nick Drake - I mean a lot. The arrangements (the acoustic guitars, strings and cello for example) reminds a lot of Nick Drakes debut album from the same year - I mean a lot, and the mood is incredible similiar. The lyrics are very political in parts and reminds me of Phil Ochs and Eric Andersen, but also the early Tom Rush. I bet Joe Boyd and/or John Cale heard this album (or heard Oglesby preform) before  they produce Drake. It's sometimes spooky how similar the productions sound. And, it's a mystery and shame that this LP not has been reissued on cd. Well, the album are groovy in parts - but it's even more a cozy one. A true sweetheart!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Aaron, I've been enjoying your posts. This is a new album to me, I'm looking forward to giving it a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gyro! I really hope you like it - and if, promote it;-)

      Delete
  2. Many thanks Aaron. I also can't understand why this has never been reissued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it's really a shame. People should hear his one.

      Delete