Thursday, October 27, 2016

VA - You Got It! The Groovy In-Sound of Cadet Records 1967-1969



Here is a mixtape I made with music from Cadet Records 1967-69, Phil and Leonard Chess more jazzy and experimental etiquette/record label. I made this tape as a compliment to the handfull of terrific compilations from the last ten fifteen years with awesome non-blues but very groovy, swingin', psychedelic and funky stuff from the vault of Cadet/Chess Records. None of the tunes here appears on those compilations as far as I can see. Groovy!

01. Ahmad Jamal - Nature Boy (1967)
02. John Klemmer - Excursion #2 (1969)
03. Shades Of Brown - The Soil I Tilled For You (1969)
04. Jesse Anderson - Swing Too High (1967)
05. Odell Brown & the Organ-izers - Baby You Just Don't Know (1967)
06. Ramsey Lewis - Soul Man (1968)
07. Fugi - Mary Don't Take Me On No Bad Trip (1969)
08. Eddie Fisher Quintet - Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Be Do Da Day (1969)
09. Marlena Shaw - Brother Where Are You (1967)
10. Jeannie Piersol - The Nest (1968)
11. Phil Upchurch - Electrik Head (1969)
12. Rotary Connection - Respect (1969)
13. The Soulful Strings - Paint it Black (1967)
14. Frank D'Rone - Make Me Rainbows (1968)
15. Etta James - You Got It (1968)
16. Clea Bradford - My Love's A Monster (1968)
17. Wildweeds - I'm Dreaming (1968)
18. Dorothy Ashby - By The Time I Get To Phoenix (1969)
19. The Dells - Sittin On The Dock of the Bay (1969)
20. Woody Herman - Hush (1969)


R.I.P. and thank you for the music.
Phil Chess 1921-2016
Leonard Chess 1917-1969

14 comments:

  1. Wow! You've got a Frank D'Rone on here. His "After The Ball" is one of my favorite fairly obscure vocals albums. But I'm never able to find anything else by him anywhere. Except for one great version of "Everything Happens to Me" that shows up on compilations, and one later album called "Double Exposure" that isn't that great. But now I have one more song! Thank You! And if you have any other D'Rone, I'd love to hear it! Thanks again, Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool bout Frank D'Rone, I'm glad you find a new track with him:-) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Woody Herman's version of 'Hush' should get everybody groovin'. We don't need to download anything else. Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another stellar compilation! no one does it better. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy it! Thanks for kind words, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Aaron. I agree that your comps are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I'm just glad to share the gospel;-)

      Delete
  5. Gosh, this is terrific! Thank you Aaron, what a nice gift for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words - there are definitely some floorfillers on this tape:-)

      Delete
  6. Thank you Aaron. Great mix for my morning walks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wauw: COOL - Thanx-a-lot dude

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for all your time and effort! it is greatly appreciated. I love discovering some new fantastic tunes!

    ReplyDelete