Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Charlie Brown "Up From Georgia" 1972




Very little is known about Charlie Brown, born in Columbus, Georgia and died in Brooklyn, New York 1994. He was a session musician in the sixties and seventies and made two own records, this one and "Portrait Of A Glad Man" 1970 (wich I never heard, but it would be very cool to do). The information on discogs.com says he backed artists such as Van Morrison, Solomon Burke, Coasters and Barbara Lewis. Allmusic tells James Brown, Esther Phillips, Idris Muhammad, Loudon Wainwright and Bob Dylan (Blood On The Tracks). I don't know if it's correctly, but it sounds cool.

The music on this LP from 1972 is a very groovy country tinged swamp rock affair, sometimes very guitar driven. If you ask me several of the songs from the album could have been appeared on the two compilations "Country Funk" for example.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Aaron! Congrats on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous and hope you will have a groovy time here;-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks! And congratulations on the new blog. I found my way here from Twilightzone blogspot. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice start for your new blog Aaron. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been working backwards through your initial posts and I'm blown away! The staggering range of genres you draw on as well as your keen programming sense in putting together seemingly unlikely segues in your comps is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! Much better than my own old LP. But...
    Charlie Brown is still alive, living in L.A., and with a new album on iTunes!
    http://brownknowsmusic.com
    (and no, I ain't him).

    ReplyDelete